Currently, there is a USIU Africa Scholarship Program that offers young African youths an opportunity to further their education in the United States of America. This is the United States International University-Africa in affiliation with the Mastercard Foundation.
The USIU-Africa Scholarship Program is offered in line with the organization’s Global Scholars Program vision. And its target awardees are those students who are facing financial problems, hindered by gender discrimination, or constrained by their physical conditions.
Using this opportunity, individuals in these categories can get access to first-rate education in the enabling academic environment of the United States Universities.
Also, the scholarship program provides fully-funded scholarships for varied courses. African youths who are doing an undergraduate program for the first time can apply for this scholarship opportunity.
Ultimately, the graduates from this scholarship will be tasked with engineering landmark changes in the African continent.
Eligible Candidates for the USIU Africa Scholarship Program
The criteria for eligibility for the USIU-Africa Scholarship Program are as follows:
African Applicants must be less than twenty-nine (29) years old and can apply for the scholarship if they fall in any of these categories:
The learned applicant must provide evidence of proficiency in:
Leadership Disposition: The applicant must be driven by the passion to transform society, set worthy standards, and create legacy change agents.
The applicant must meet the requisite criteria for admission and must be willing to study any one of the eleven undergraduate courses in the Global Scholars Program. These courses are:
- School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (SPHS), with degrees in Biostatistics and Epidemiology;
- Also, School of Science and Technology (SST), with degrees in Information Systems and Technology and Applied Computer Technology;
- School of Communication, Cinematic and Creative Arts (SCCCA), with degrees in Animation, film production, and direction;
- Chandaria School of Business Administration (CSOB), with degrees in International Business Administration, Accounting, and Finance; and
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS), with degrees in Psychology and International Relations. You can check the university’s official website for detailed information about the degrees offered in these programs.
A propensity for Academic Pursuit: The applicant is expected to have a high aptitude for education and to go through the legal procedures required for admission into the university.
Inclined towards Humanitarian works: The student will also show interest in helping society through humanitarian works/aids.
Advantages of the USIU Africa Scholarship Program
As we mentioned earlier, this scholarship program is fully funded and covers the students in these areas:
- Students’ tuition fees
- Provides learning equipment
- Upkeep stipends covering rents and food
- Health insurance within the provision of Insurance policy laws in the US constitution
- Pays part of students’ touring detours
- Covers transport to/from school
- Guarantees leadership skills acquisition
- Provides entrepreneurship workshops/classes
- Special facility and teaching methods for disabled students
- Psychological support
- Career guides
How to Apply
Prospective candidates should get the Application Form from the official web page www.usiu.ac.ke/mcf-scholarship. They can as well get the form from these places for free:
- Admissions Office
- Main Administration Building
Once the form has been filled out, it should be submitted through email to firstname.lastname@example.org or left with any of the bodies listed previously.
There may not be a chance to retrieve forms after submission to correct errors, so candidates must be careful to enter only the correct details in the form. They can also submit the forms to the Program Director of USIU-Africa, P.O. Box 14634 – 00800.
They can also check the contact us page on the university website to see the links for contacting the bodies in case they wish to be clarified on anything about the scholarship program.
Note: Avoid sending your applications more than once. This may reduce your chances of getting the scholarship.
- The application starts on the 9th of November, 2020
- The application portal will be closed on 27th November 2020
- Subsequently, the applications will be reviewed on the 30th of November. This includes drafting shortlists and scheduling interviews.
- The eventual winners will be announced on the 15th & 17th of February, 2021
Candidates who pass through these stages will have to pass through subsequent orientations at the university, but this will be disclosed to them during the selection process.